Wednesday, June 24, 2009

$174 for a piece of glass?!!


My buddy and fellow photographer Toby Caughron was the only one who correctly guessed #8, the image chosen for the show.  Toby's a fantastic photographer and his website can be viewed at  www.tobycphoto.com.

The final stage in the creation of an image is very fulfilling.  To see a moment in time that you alone captured, finally framed is the culmination of a long journey.  But it's EXPENSIVE! Darker images are particularly difficult to see if there's any glare off of the glass. The show required acrylic so my options ultimately ended at Optium, the only non-glare acrylic that doesn't unacceptably blur the image, at $174 for a 24'' by 30'' piece.  I won't even start with the frame.  Suffice to say, I'm in the wrong business.  After I stopped the hemorrhaging of my wallet, I assembled the image and upon turning it in was informed that my piece was the last to be delivered.  Considering this was a group of artists, makes that even MORE impressive! Procrastinators UNITE!........tomorrow.

If you're interested in the show, it's on display from July 29th until Sept. 13th at the Natural History Museum in Balboa Park, San Diego.  Southern California is a hot bed for many super talented nature photographers so I'm sure it'll be impressive.  



ISO 100, f8, 17 minute exposure in almost total darkness.  I tried to focus during a couple strikes, but that didn't work.  In the end I just went to infinity, backed it up a bit and I think I said a prayer.

No comments:

Views

Budget Web Hosting